Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Shopping For Time


Well the votes are in and to my surprise the majority of you who voted get up between 7 A.M. and 8 A.M. I would say that if I could have voted, I would have voted on the after 8 A.M. because most of the time I am dragging myself out of bed right at 8 A.M. To be honest, I thought this was an okay time to get up. Until I read "Shopping for Time" by Carolyn Mahaney and her three daughters! Now, this post is in no means a way to make you think you aren't doing what you are suppose to be doing, but it is simply a post to tell what I have learned through reading this book. Now to be completely honest with you, when John brought this book home and gave it to me I thought, "Oh great, another book to add to the height of my mountain of books I need to read already!" I admit my heart and actions showed no sign of thankfulness to my sweet husband who was excited to be able to give me a copy of this book. For those of you who know my husband, he gets excited every time the postman delivers another box of books and this happens every other day at the Lenfestey home! He loves books! Okay back to this book . . . . When I saw the title I thought I would get nothing out of this book. I didn't think it was for me. (no pride there huh?) Shopping for Time - How to Do It All and NOT Be Overwhelmed. Hmmm, I thought I was doing well, I mean I am a stay at home wife and mother and I have all day to get everything done . . . . I have all the time in the world! But after just reading the first chapter, conviction fell upon me. Here are the questions asked that got me:

  • Do you plan ahead to maximize your fruitfulness each day, or do you simply let life happen?

  • Do you make choices based on Scripture or on what feels good at the moment?

  • Do you strategize to use your talents to bless your family and church, or do you employ them primarily for your own personal fulfillment?

  • Do you evaluate every opportunity in light of biblical priorities, or do you do whatever it takes to get ahead?
  • Do you consider whom God would have you serve, or do you try to please everyone all the time?

They were talking in this chapter how we as women constantly - almost unconsciously - plan, evaluate, stratiegize, and make wise choices when shopping, but often neglect to do so with the most important matters of our lives. We wouldn't dream of going to the grocery store without a shopping list or purchase a pair of new shoes without looking at the price tag, but we throw away our time as if we had an endless supply! As a result, we often miss out on the best deals life has to offer and end up paying big time in guilt, anxiety, and a lack of confidence that we're really doing the will of God. But it doesn't have to be this way. We can know for certain that we are doing all God wants us to do.

Ephesians 5:15-16 says, "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."

The NKJV reads: "See then that you walk circumspectly." To be circumspect means to look around with caution. That is sobering! I realized that I was not looking around with caution. In fact, I realized that I was just plain lazy! I would have never thought of myself as a lazy person but I was letting my days just happen without putting much thought into them. There are many things listed in this book that I will let you read for yourself, but they said to pick one area and ask God for the grace to change. I was convicted in the area of sleep. I have to have sleep and if I don't get my sleep then my whole day is affected by it. My children are affected by it. My walk with God is affected by it. Now it is good to get a good nights rest. Sleep is a gift from God! But, I have been going to bed late and not being purposeful in what time I arise. I was not planning my day. Yes, we get our school done most days and our house is clean enough and most of the laundry gets done. But it was all by happenstance and not planned. We were waking up and letting life happen as it may. Not only was I convicted about my sleep habits but also having a set routine in place for our day. So I now have two areas, which really do go together anyway! So today was our first day to try out all I have learned. But before bed last night, I talked to the kids about what I was wanting to start. They were excited! WOW! I was in awe that they wanted a schedule and was actually excited to try something new! God is so good to have already been at work in their hearts . . .it makes it much easier on me! After letting them know what was in store for them, Kristen asked if we could make up a chart with pictures to show what our days would look like. So we sat down at the computer and made up the cutest little chart in the order in which they are to do what:

  • Wake up from alarm at 7 A.M
  • Make your bed
  • Brush your teeth
  • Get dressed for the day
  • Have quiet time for prayer and Bible reading
  • Eat breakfast
  • Be at the table ready to start school by 8 A.M.
  • Lunch at noon
  • Do chores
  • Hour of reading
  • Free time - check email, do hobbies, etc.

I was able to arise at 6 A.M. (AMAZING) but I do have to admit that I sat on the side of my bed for about 5 minutes then fell asleep on the toilet for probably another 5 minutes before getting dressed! Hopefully tomorrow I will do better with that! Anyway, I did make it out the door by 6:15 and went for a 30 minute walk. I took along Kristen's iPod and listened to worship songs and hymns while I walked and it was the sweetest time of worshiping and praying to the Lord! See that is what I was missing . . . the most important thing of all . . . quiet time with the Lord! Yes I do have quiet times but it isn't always quiet! When I am waking up with the kids or after the kids, the house isn't at all quiet! I really was amazed this morning at how refreshing it really was. I came home and took a shower then I smiled as each one my children came to say good morning, after obediently setting their alarms for 7 A.M. and really got up and started their day in the order of their chart! I am so thankful for my children! Anyway, they did exactly as was instructed and all were ready at 8 A.M. for school to start, fully dressed, tummies full, with minty breath even! We went through our day in a planned, organized way and I have to say, our day was awesome! I am so shocked at how well it went. I thought for sure today would be horrible and the schedule we made would have things that needed to be tweaked, but to my amazement, it all flowed and we got so much accomplished. Tonight Nicholas said, "Mom, I really like that schedule we have. It really helped me to get everything done that I needed to get done, and I had free time!"

So if you do not have this book, I encourage you to get it and read it. I am sure you will find at least one thing that will be helpful to you and that will serve you and your family. I have a link to this book on the side of my blog under the Books Worth Reading heading. I finished reading it today (thanks to the scheduled reading time). It is a very easy, fun read.

The Mahaney ladies put it this way: By rising early, we can secure much needed refreshment for our souls! I AGREE!

I will end with this advice from author John Piper:

I earnestly recommend that it be in the early morning, unless there are
some extenuating circumstances. Entering the day without a serious
meeting with God, over his Word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not
replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not the heart . . .We replenish our hearts not with sleep, but with the Word of God and prayer.

8 comments:

Family W said...

Brandi, I enjoyed reading your review. I found this book to be very convicting as well. I was also very convicted about getting up early. I've always liked getting up before my kids because I just feel more 'together' when I do (not to mention it blesses Andy for me to make him coffee before he heads out the door to work), but this book helped me to see that I really needed to do it consistently, not 'hit-or-miss', like I have been! :)
Blessings, Lynn.

Anonymous said...

GREAT! I love this book! So glad Ryan bought it for my birthday! I am bad (see the late hour?) when he is away. OUr children, too, love schedules and have much better days when on them! :)

Debi Walter said...

Okay, I'm convicted. I hope it's enough to kick me into gear. These days with only one daughter still at home, and she works full-time, it's easy to deceive myself into believing that I have all the time in the world! How wrong I am - for I'm accountable to God for how I serve my husband and family. There is never a time when I'm not called to be busy at home - that is busy doing what God wants me to do, not what I feel like doing. Ugh! I guess I'll have to read this book next! Thanks for the great post, Brandi!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you SO much for this! I'll be sure to pick up this book at the bookstore Sunday. I feel it would really serve our family. I have a problem with staying up too late and then I am tired in the morning and don't feel I get as much out of my quiet time than I would if I was fully rested. Great that you are getting on a schedule (TOO funny that you fell asleep on the toilet...something I would do!) and your kids enjoy it! Thanks so much for this encouraging post! :-)

Joy Z said...

ON THE TOILET????? I laughed out loud trying to picture that! Good for you though, the Lord is so kind to give you the grace to do what he has asked of you, isn't he?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Brandi, for this very helpful review. I will be sure to get this book. In the meantime, I've printed out your review to read over carefully (I don't read things well on the computer screen).

Have fun on your trip!

Love, Cassie

Anonymous said...

My mom, Cassie and I read this book together! It definitely was convicting! Though I don't have kids or a husband (yet :-D) to care for I have plenty of other things during the day and I admit I wasn't doing my quiet times in the mornings! So I have started getting up early and sitting at Jesus' feet first! My day goes soo much better! My attitude is better, and I am more willing to serve my family! This book is great! Thanks for posting about it! Love ya!
~Chrissie

Anonymous said...

I love your comments. Dana started school on Tuesday and we kinda made a morning schedule. Ive been setting my alarm for 6am to get up before the kids, to do my quite time. Today is Thursday and I can really tell a difference in my attitude. Ive been thinking about you guys I hope your having fun in Disney.
Leslee