Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Hard Rock Candy

These are the flavorings you need for hard rock candy. They have all different flavors! I grew up eating this wonderful "glass candy" every holiday! My mom use to make suckers with it.
My mom recently found a microwave recipe which makes this SO easy! Here it is:
Hard Rock Candy
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 dram of flavoring
food coloring
Mix together the sugar and corn syrup in a microwave safe glass bowl. I use my Pampered Chef 8 cup glass measuring bowl. Place saran wrap over that and put into the microwave and cook on high for 6 minutes and 20 seconds. Remove saran wrap and stir and place back into microwave for another 6 minutes and 20 seconds. Be careful when you take off the saran wrap as it is VERY hot! Just lift a small part and let the steam exit. Stir in your flavoring and your food coloring then pour onto a prepared pan. (I found using a well Pam sprayed cookie sheet works the best). You can then put it into the freezer for it to set up quickly or you can leave it on the counter until it sets. After it is set, crack it with a knife. Then sprinkle powedered sugar on it so it won't stick together. I put it into big ziplock bags and write what kind it is on the bag.
Here is what it will look like when it is finished.

Just one side note . . . your microwave temps may vary. I actually had to cut the cooking time back to 5 minutes and 30 seconds each time. You can use a candy thermometer and cook it until it is 300 degrees (hard crack stage).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! It looks so good! I want to come over and make it with ya! It sounds so much easier that way! :-D

Iturblog said...

Yum YUM!! I LOVE rock candy! Your microwave recipe DOES seem MUCH easier! The only thing I didn't like about making it growing up was that it seemed to take SO long on the stove top! Would stare at that candy thermometer waiting for it to get hot enough! We'll have to try your recipe when we go down to Orlando for Christmas. My mom has about 25 of those different flavorings! I love 'em all, except anise! :-) Thanks for sharing! Your potato soup was a HUGE hit at our house by the way!

Tammy said...

Wow! How fun to make rock candy. Thanks for the recipe.